As I write this, 2020 is just a few days away.
As the holidays come to a close, we all start receiving an overwhelming onslaught of advertising telling you how THEY can make YOU better.
But guess what?
You don’t need any of it.
You just need YOU.
Stop looking for a magic answer. It’s not “out there”.
YOU are the magic answer.
YOU can do this. It’s easy.
Follow this formula:
- Decide what you want and Why you want it.
- Get all of the things you need to do to achieve it out of your brain and on paper. Yes, paper.
- Pick three or four priorities from that list.
- Do those 3-4 things daily no matter what by reminding yourself of your Why.
DO NOT overcomplicate things.
DO NOT indulge in confusion.
DO NOT give your power away.
The diet industry makes billions off of your insecurities and confusion.
Don’t let them.
They love to tell you you’re not good enough.
That it’s complicated and that THEY have all the answers.
And that YOU don’t have the power to do it on your own.
I call bullsh*t.
You don’t need a big elaborate plan. You don’t need a new Peloton. Nor do you need the “Perfect Planner”.
(Note: these things can help, but you don’t need them. They’re tools. Not motivation.)
You just need YOU and 30 minutes.
Here’s an example of a simple daily plan for losing 20 lbs: (click here for more detail):
- Eat only when hungry.
- Stop when satisfied (not full).
- Move your body purposefully for 30 minutes
- Stop mindlessly snacking.
Just keep doing those four simple things every day.
Even when you “don’t feel like it”.
Even when you’ve failed 100 times.
And even when you’re “too busy”.
Just do it every. damn. day……30 minutes……no matter what.
Here’s another simple daily plan for getting organized at home:
- Set a timer for 30 minutes and grab a garbage bag.
- Pick one drawer, cupboard or small spot of your closet…..and take everything out.
- Put back only the items you’ve used in the last 6 months.
- Get rid of the rest.
And the most important habit of all?
Here’s an example to guarantee you’ll get it done every. damn. day:
- Set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Empty all the things you think you need to get done from your brain onto paper. Yes, paper.
- Pick 3-4 things you must complete that day to feel accomplished.
- Get rid of the rest.
Do 3-4 simple priorities towards your goal for 30 minutes every day and your life will be completely changed in as short as one month.
Keep it simple. Not too many goals at once.
(I had a client once try to start the New Year by changing her career, trying to lose 50 pounds, and declutter her entire house all while cutting out sugar and flour. That’s just asking for a melt-down. Start with one thing and once you have that habit down, usually after 30 days, move to the next.)
Don’t have time for 30 minutes a day towards your goal? I call BS.
If you don’t have 30 minutes, you need to take a much harder look at your life.
Your brain will have tons of excuses……it’s full of sh*t.
Make the time. You’re worth it.
If you’re struggling with What you actually want. Get coaching.
If you’re struggling with what your Why is. Get coaching.
If you’re struggling with the How. Get coaching.
If you’re struggling with self-sabotage. Get coaching.
No more excuses. No more waiting for motivation outside yourself. No more confusion. No more self-sabotage.
Remember: YOU have all the power to change your life.